Friday, August 29, 2008

Archiblog the 2008 Democratic Convention- Thursday-Obama's Acceptance Speech

It’s hard to believe that the final day of the Democratic National Convention has finally arrived. In the early afternoon of our final day in Denver, my team members and I rode the light rail train to the Invesco Stadium. During our 30 minute ride to the stadium, I began to reflect upon my various experiences at the 2008 Democratic National Convention Committee (DNCC). As I ruminated, I then began to consider the timing of the upcoming Republican National Convention. Did the Republicans employ tactics that I learned in my years as a member of my high school varsity debate team? In policy debate, the affirmative team presents its case or platform first. Thereafter, the negative team rebuts the arguments made by the affirmative team. If the negative team effectively rebuts the major points of the affirmative team, the negative team will win. Applying the lessons that I learned in policy debate, here’s my theory: if the Republicans effectively rebut the Democrat’s message of change, the American people may elect a Republican over a Democrat for president.

When our train reached our stop, we exited the train and traveled on foot (about half a mile) to the Invesco stadium. When I was finally able to see the stadium, I was surprised to see thousands of people standing in line, in front of what appeared to be only 2 points of entry. I glanced at my watch and noted that we had reached the stadium almost 6 hours before Senator Obama was scheduled to speak. I became concerned that it would take more than 6 hours to enter the stadium. But, I soon realized that our press credentials authorized us to enter the stadium through an express passage. Having press credentials, however, did not protect us from the taunts of those already standing in the incredibly long line. As we walked by, some people began to yell at us. “They’re cutting the line,” one woman screamed. “That’s not fair,” another man screamed.

Now, in all honesty, I could fully understand their frustration. It was really hot and they had probably been standing in line for more than an hour. And, as my colleagues and I continued to walk to the front of the line, I remember looking back and wishing that I could share my press credentials with the people who had shouted at us. But, it soon became evident that even though we cut through the line, it would take another 15 minutes to pass through the final checkpoint.

Once we were actually inside the stadium, I felt a little choked up because I knew that in a few hours I would be present when the first African-American ever nominated by a major American party, gave his acceptance speech. I felt even more emotional when I saw how close I was to where he would be speaking. Although I wasn’t initially on the floor of the stadium, I was really close and I had a fabulous view of the speaker’s podium. Soon after we took our seats, Rep. Nancy Pelosi called the closing session of the DNCC to order. Next, a series of speaker such as Howard Dean and David Pluff, Barack Obama’s campaign chief came to the podium. Pluff informed the audience that this weekend the campaign would launch its initiative called the “weekend of change.” He invited everyone in the crowd to take a few hours this weekend to register people to vote. A few minutes after he invited everyone to send a text message to a designated Obama campaign number, he announced that over 30,000 people had accepted his challenge and were now directly connected to the Barack Obama campaign.

After Pluff left the stage, Sean Johnson, an Olympic gold medalist led the crowd in the Pledge of Allegiance, and Jenifer Hudson sung the national anthem. They both did an excellent job. The next speakers were national civil rights and political leaders, such as: John Lewis, Bernice King and Martin Luther King III. All three spoke about Dr. King’s dream for America. Martin Luther King IIII made reference to his dad’s speech, and quoted directly from that speech and reminded the audience that his dad dreamed of the day “that one day people would not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” Hearing Dr. King’s children state that their dad’s dream had finally come true, gave me goose bumps! The crowd, after these dynamic speakers ended their remarks, gave the trio a standing ovation. At that moment, I realized that Obama’s famous phrase, “change you can believe in” was quickly becoming a reality. For starters, for the first time in American history, a Black man had received a major party’s nomination for the office of President. This fact became more poignant when one considered that Senator Clinton made the motion to nominate Senator Obama by acclamation. In addition, Senator Obama had succeeded in engaging young people around the country. He encouraged and motivated them to get involved- something other candidates have been unable to do.

As the evening progressed, several other performers and speakers took to the stage. During, and in between, these presentations, the energy in the stadium was electrified. The spectators were waving flags, dancing in the isles, and showing their enthusiasm for everyone who entered the stage. Some of the spectators created a human wave, which spread across the entire stadium. Those who were waving were not the convention delegates because the convention delegates sat on the floor of the stadium. The human wave seemed to symbolize the effort of the spectators to be relevant and to mark their presence; and, it was amazing to watch the delegates watch the stadium spectators having a great time.

As time grew closer to when Barack Obama was scheduled to speak, I could feel the growing anticipation of the crowd. They began to shout “O-BAM-A! O-BAM-A!” It was electrifying. Literally. Flashes of light could be seen throughout the stadium as people took pictures of one another and of the stage. Everywhere I looked I saw American flags. Obama’s staff had obviously decided that signs and banners would not be enough. They wanted to emphasize the fact that their candidate was very patriotic. This was a brilliant idea. With thousands of flags being waved around the stadium, every picture of Obama would very likely include an American flag in the background.

When Barack Obama, finally reached the stage, the crowd erupted into applause, which lasted more than 5 minutes. Then, after he said “ I accept the nomination” the audience clapped for another 5 minutes. But, once Barack Obama silenced the crowd, they listened attentively for his approximately 50 minute speech. Although there were reportedly over 80,000 people in Invesco Stadium, it was incredible to sit among them in a silence that you could almost feel.

Senator Obama’s acceptance speech was full of memorable phrases. I particularly liked when he said, “I don’t think Senator McCain doesn’t care. I just think he doesn’t understand.” Obama then proceeded to describe the many examples of things McCain did not understand. His attack on McCain was very specific and clear. Overall, Barack Obama’s speech was very appropriate and very well put. When Barack Obama concluded his speech, the crowd chanted his name for many minutes. The crowd continued to shout his name and “yes we can” long after Senator Obama had left the stadium. The people were not rushing to find the closest exit. They seemed suspended in time, relishing the moment.

After the event, my colleagues and I decided to go down to the stadium floor. We took lots of pictures to memorialize the sights and symbols of this historic night. When we finally left the stadium, I remember looking back at the entrance and thinking “I will never forget this day. Today I witnessed an event which will forever impact American politics.”

No comments: