Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Token Minority Night

I'm looking at Michael Williams, Railroad Commissioner in Texas. He's black. He's promoting "clean coal". He's promoting odd energy policy and lower taxes. It's all really just a confusing image to me until I noticed something that made it all work: he's wearing a bow tie.

I'm looking at Luis Forturno, Republican Congressman of non-voting Puerto Rico. He's promoting the search for oil and calling it a clean source of energy. He's talking about supporting Sen. McCain in a very thick accent.

Gov. Palin speaks at 10:35. She's going to say some really contradictory statements as well to the detriment of the group she's a member of. This is the evening where the party finds groups of people to which they are appealing and trying to feed them their party lines. It's perplexing to watch, which is partially why I didn't want to turn on my TV for this.

Why am I blogging this again?

EDIT @ 9:01 - Hey, former Lt. Gov. of Maryland Michael Steele is talking right now with a snappy catchphrase "Drill, Baby, Drill." He really seems like he could be actually sort of sincere. He's speaking in call and response. He's filled will all sorts of energy. Sure, I may have only been watching him for a few minutes but I get a good feeling from him. He's seems like a different sort of American instead of some real partisan hack. He thinks drilling in Alaska will be good for us while others think it's a temporary fix that won't even see results for a few years. He's likely wrong, but he's not malicious or vehement about it. He could be a token black guy, but at least he doesn't seem like the kind of guy the party is using or something.

No comments: